A back muscle spasm is an extremely common cause of acute and chronic neck pain and back pain. Spasms often present as painful “knots” within the muscles. The muscles of the neck and back can be so uncomfortable that they also restrict range of motion. In addition to physical therapy, trigger point injections are also used to help reduce the inflammation and irritation within the muscle.
Conditions Treated with Trigger Point Injections
Trigger point injections are used to treat pain related to back muscle spasms.
Before Trigger Point Injections
Once you have decided to have the trigger point injection, the following events take place:
- If taking aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications daily, stop these medications at least three days before the injection.
During Trigger Point Injections
- The trigger point injection is usually performed in the physician’s clinic.
- The skin in the area of the injection is cleaned.
- The skin may be numbed with a local anesthetic.
- A small needle is inserted into the muscle causing the spasm-related pain (a steroid is sometimes injected also).
- A local anesthetic is injected into the muscle.
- The procedure usually takes about 30 minutes.
After Trigger Point Injections
- You will be able to leave the clinic after the injection.
- Soreness in the area of the injection may be experienced for 24 to 48 hours after the injection.
- Typically, patients are prescribed to participate in an active physical rehabilitation program after the injection.
Downtown Pain Physicians
Patients visit this practice from all over NYC due to their unique approach and extensive medical offerings. This includes Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn & Bronx. The medical practice is in the Downtown & Lower Manhattan area near the Lower East Side, Tribeca, Financial District, Downtown Brooklyn, Dumbo, Soho, Chelsea, East Village, Murray Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg and the local zip codes of course (10038, 10007, 10022, 10005, 10006, 10280, 10004, 11201, 11251 11217, 11211, 11231 & 10013).
We provide a one-on-one experience, using state of the art equipment, and proven techniques that reduce pain quickly and enable a return to normal function. With our services, we aim to ensure complete well-being of patients with a holistic approach...... Read More
The information on this site is not intended, or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
9:00am – 7:00pm