Columbia Trained Dr
Verified 3rd Party Testimonials
TMJ Treatments in NYC
Our award-winning TMJ specialists at Downtown Pain Physicians offer Jaw Pain Treatments To Our Clients in Manhattan & Brooklyn.
No matter the type of joint pains you are going through, come to our office, tell us about it and let us get you treated. Send your pains away with just a visit to our office today. Having pains when chewing is not new to most people, these pains tend to disrupt the joy of eating our favorite meal, some even go as far as making one unable to communicate as they usually do. Temporomandibular jaw pains are one of those pains that affect chewing, let see what the cause is and prevent it.
FAQ: TMJ Disorder (TMD)
What Is The Temporomandibular Joint?
A Temporomandibular Joint is the joint that connects the jaw to the skull. Whenever this joint is damaged or injured, it will lead to a localized pain disorder known as temporomandibular joint syndrome. The joint is responsible are moving the jaw up and down and side to side, so one can chew, talk, and yawn. TMJ syndrome is a disorder of the jaw muscles and nerves which is caused by inflammation or injury to the TMJ. The injured or inflamed temporomandibular joint leads to pain with chewing, crackling, clicking, popping of the jaw, nerve inflammation, swelling on the sides of the face, and headaches including migraines. Temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) can also be referred to as temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD).
What Causes TMJ Syndrome?
To date, what causes TMJ syndrome is yet to be known. However, pain physicians believe symptoms arise when the muscles of the jaw or with the parts of the joint itself have problems. In other words, injury to the joint, the jaw, or the muscles of anyone neck or head can lead to TMD. Apart from the above listed, other causes are misalignment of the teeth or jaw, teeth clenching or grinding, poor posture, gum-chewing stress, orthodontic braces, and even arthritis.
What Are TMD Symptoms And Signs?
The main TMD symptom is a pain in the jaw joint. The joint is located in front of the ear, and pain associated with TMJ may involve the eye, face ear, forehead, or neck. Other signs and symptoms of TMD include;
- Difficulty in chewing
- Pain at the base of the tongue
- Pain that feels like a toothache
- Pain, swelling, or a lump in the temple area
- Ringing or popping sounds in the ears (tinnitus)
- Shoulder pain
- Locking or dislocation of the jaw (usually after widely yawning), referred to as lockjaw
- Popping/clicking of the jaw (crepitus)
- Blurred vision
- Earache or sounds of cracking in the ears
- Headaches, including migraines
- Muscle spasms in the jaw
- Sore jaw or neck muscles
- Mouth pain, facial pain, cheek pain, jaw pain, or chin numbness or tingling
Does insurance cover TMJ treatments?
Yes, usually medical insurance can cover many TMJ treatments, speak with your TMJ doctor to see which they accept.
How is TMD treated?
- Taking ibuprofen
- Wearing a nightguard
- Heat or cold pack
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS): Low-level electrical currents that relax the jaw and reduce jaw pain.
- Ultrasound: Treatment that is applied to the TMJ to reduce pain or improve movement
- Trigger-point injections: Pain medication is injected into muscles of the face to relieve oral pain.
- Radio wave therapy: Creates a low-level electrical stimulation to the joint to increase blood flow and reduce jaw pain
- Arthrocentesis: when the jaw is locked shut or swollen, liquids are injected into the joint to wash it out
- Arthroscopy: with a small incision in front of the ear the doctor can insert an endoscope to view the damage and scar tissue inside the jaw and remove or wash it if necessary.
- Open-joint surgery: a full surgery under anesthesia, used for the most severe cases.
Irrespective of the level of pain you are feeling from Temporomandibular Joint symptom, visit our office today and let us guide you on the road to recovery. Downtown Pain Physicians: 80 Maiden Ln #905A New York, NY 10038 (212) 404-8070
Downtown Pain Physicians
Patients visit this practice from all over NYC due to their unique approach and extensive medical offerings. This includes Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn & Bronx. The medical practice is in the Downtown & Lower Manhattan area near the Lower East Side, Tribeca, Financial District, Downtown Brooklyn, Dumbo, Soho, Chelsea, East Village, Murray Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg and the local zip codes of course (10038, 10007, 10022, 10005, 10006, 10280, 10004, 11201, 11251 11217, 11211, 11231 & 10013).
A Medical Examination is Required to Diagnose and Treat Any & All Medical Conditions.
The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
9:00am – 7:00pm