Acute pain management is the medical specialty focused on treating pain regardless of the cause. These specialists are often called on when a painful condition does not respond to pain management treatments aiming to “fix” the problem. Some practitioners focus more on pharmacologic management, and others on more interventional treatments such as injections. The doctor will try to provide maximal pain control with the least potential side effects.
What Does Acute Pain Management Involve?
- During the first visit with the pain management specialist, an evaluation will be performed.
- Based on those results, diagnostic tests may be ordered and/or medications or other treatments prescribed.
- Follow-up appointments will be scheduled to review results of tests and to discuss the effectiveness and any side effects of the prescribed medications.
- Referral to a specialist may be made for evaluations or treatments including injections, chiropractic care, spinal cord stimulation or a psychologist to help the patient deal with all the issues associated with chronic pain and its impact on everyday life.
- A team approach using a combination of these specialties is sometimes needed.
- Individuals react differently to medications. Several trial courses of medication may be needed to determine which one or combinations work best for each patient.
- Follow-up appointments will be made to continually monitor the patient’s condition, review and renew prescriptions, and perform blood tests and urinalysis to help identify potential harmful side effects.
Downtown Pain Physicians
Patients visit this practice from all over NYC due to their unique approach and extensive medical offerings. This includes Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn & Bronx. The medical practice is in the Downtown & Lower Manhattan area near the Lower East Side, Tribeca, Financial District, Downtown Brooklyn, Dumbo, Soho, Chelsea, East Village, Murray Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg and the local zip codes of course (10038, 10007, 10022, 10005, 10006, 10280, 10004, 11201, 11251 11217, 11211, 11231 & 10013).
We provide a one-on-one experience, using state of the art equipment, and proven techniques that reduce pain quickly and enable a return to normal function. With our services, we aim to ensure complete well-being of patients with a holistic approach...... Read More
The information on this site is not intended, or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
9:00am – 7:00pm